This should be a fun topic to practice, who doesn’t love food?
* Food signs are also good practice for descriptive classifiers. For example:
Instead of signing “BREAKFAST I HAD EGG AND TOAST”. Use classifiers to describe how you made the eggs and toast. Mimic putting a frying pan on the stove, knife butter into pan, turn on burner, break egg in, fry. Put bread into toaster, wait, imitate toaster popping up toast, put on plate, butter it. And so on and so forth. Acting out and using classifiers may be awkward at first, but with practice it will become second nature as will your signing.
* Practice with a partner with a take-out menu and describe menu items to each other and see how close you were to the actual description. Good for both types of receptive practice.
* Ask each other various questions such as:
– Was there a food you hated as a child you like eating now?
– Can you cook? What’s your favorite thing to cook?
– What’s your favorite restaurant? Why?
– Is there a food you miss eating? Why stopped?
– Are you allergic to any food?
– What’s your favorite snack?
– What’s the strangest thing you’ve eaten? Where did you try it?
– What restaurant do you hate? Why?
– Did your parents cook? Grandparents?
Now the vocabulary list:
Meals & Utensils:
Bowl, Breakfast, Cup, Dessert, Dinner, Fork, Knife, Lunch, Mug, Plate, Snack, Spoon.
Coffee, Juice, Milk, Milkshake, Soda Pop, Tea, Water
Cake, Candy, Cookie, Donut, Ice Cream, Muffin, Pie.
Apple, Banana, Cherry, Coconut, Grapes, Lemon, Melon, Orange, Peach, Pineapple, Strawberry, Watermelon.
Beans, Broccoli, Cabbage, Carrot, Cauliflower, Celery, Cucumber, Garlic, Green bean, Lettuce, Mushroom, Onion, Peas, Pickle, Potato, Pumpkin, Salad, Tomato.
Bacon, Barbeque, Beef, Chicken, Fish, Ham, Hot Dogs, Pork, Sausages, Steak, Turkey
Bake, Boil, Bread, Butter, Cereal, Cheese, Chips, Chocolate, Cook, Crackers, Dressing, Eat, Egg, Feed, French Fries, Fry, Gravy, Hamburger, Honey, Ketchup, Lasagna, Mayonnaise, Mustard, Noodle, Nut, Oatmeal, Pancake, Pasta, Pickle, Pizza, Popcorn, Sandwich, Soup, Sushi, Taco, Toast, Vanilla, Yogurt.